Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dressed Up Caesar Salad


Don't get me wrong, I love traditional Caesar salad, but it could definitely use a bit of fortifying sometimes. This post is mostly to share my homemade dressing recipe, but I'll also offer some ideas for branching out from romaine, Parmesan, and croutons.


I warn you, I never measure when making this dressing, so feel free to adjust the measurements to taste. Update: I measured tonight following what I wrote down. It was just about right! 

Caesar Salad Dressing

- Me

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard 
1 Tbs. champagne vinegar (white wine vinegar would work as well)
1 tbs. olive oil
~ 1/2 tsp honey (Don't measure it - just a litle "blop")
Juice of half a lemon
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

Whisk it all together in a bowl...viola. The longer it melds before dressing the salad the better it gets. I made mine around 3:00 PM the other day and by dinner at 6:30 it was perfect.


Additional Ingredients

These things pair nicely with Caesar dressing and can make the classic dish a bit more exciting.

Replace the empty, watery romaine with: 
Baby spinach
Mixed baby romaines (The dark kind with purples in it)

Replace croutons with: 
Toasted almond slivers
Sunflower seeds

Add for extra crunch and flavor:
Roasted Brussels sprouts
 Celery
Dried cherries or cranberries
Avocado
Chickpeas (cooked well - I would cook chickpeas from a can a little bit too to soften them)




No comments:

Post a Comment