Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rainbow Stir Fry

This is based on a recipe in Vegetarian Times. I changed some of the veggies and ingredients around, and I am just going to post the recipe my way :). The flavor was great.

As with any stir-fry, I would recommend a leafy green salad and fruit on the side.

Serve 4

Rainbow Stir-Fry

Inspired by Vegetarian Times

3 Tbs. orange juice
2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha)

2 tsp sesame oil
~3/4 lb broccoli, stems thinly sliced cross-wise and florets cut into bite-size pieces
2 large carrots thinly sliced cross-wise
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced

3/4 C snow peas cut in half lengthwise
1 C thinly sliced purple cabbage

Whisk together the orange juice. hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and chile sauce. 
Heat the sesame oil in  a large skillet or wok. Add the broccoil, carrots, leeks, and water chestnuts. Stir fry for about three minutes, then add 3 tbs. of water and cook for another three minutes. Add the cabbage and snow peas and cook until the veggies are almost done, about four to five more minutes. You may want to cover the wok for this part, and be careful that the veggies don't burn - a bit more water or oil may be needed!
Next add the sauce mixture and toss the veggies thoroughly. Cook for about a minute more in order to heat the sauce.

Serve over brown rice. I threw some shrimp on top for my mom and my sister made some great tofu for the vegetarians. I will post her tofu recipe soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment