Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tomato & Garlic "Sauce-less" Pasta

This is a family favorite. It's simple yet bursting with flavor . See the bottom of the page for optional changes to the recipe!

Sauce-less Pasta
Adapted from 365 Ways to Cook Pasta


This is a random picture borrowed from the internet, but it looks almost exactly like what I serve at home. 




8 oz pasta, shape of your choice - I like penne, farfalle, or good old fettuccine 

2 tbs butter
3 cloves garlic
1 Can whole or diced tomatoes
1/3 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
Hefty bunch of fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley

This recipe is so simple:
Boil the pasta water. Meanwhile, mine the garlic and finely chop the parsley. If using whole tomatoes, cut them into smaller pieces but do not discard the juice! If using diced tomatoes, they are ready to go.

When the pasta is cooked, strain it and allow it to drain into the sink. In the pasta pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute lightly for about 3 minutes, or until it is aromatic. Remove from the heat and add the pasta, tomatoes, cheese, and garlic. Mix and serve immediately with extra cheese for garnish.

**CHANGES**

I absolutely LOVE grape (and cherry) tomatoes. My trainer was telling me about a recipe she makes similar to this one, but in place of the canned tomatoes, she sautes cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil until they heat up and "pop", then mixes them with her pasta.
This sounded like a perfect change to my classic sauce-less pasta recipe, so I gave it a try tonight. I actually had campari tomatoes on hand, which are slightly larger and rounder than grape tomatoes- more like mini versions of vine tomatoes. Anyway, I cut them into quarters and  heated them with the garlic. It tasted great - the fresh tomatoes added a nice juicy, sweet flavor. I am planning on trying this with actual cherry tomatoes, but it was delicious this way as well.

I would recommend giving any of these types of tomatoes a try:
                     
Campari

Grape

Cherry




















You can also experiment with different herbs, adding a little fresh Basil in place of some of the parsley.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog!

    Reading this is making me so hungry.

    ReplyDelete