Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kale!


A lot of people are turned off by kale. I'm not sure if it's the color, the scent, or just the reputation, but you really should give it a try. It definitely has a specific - sometimes bitter - taste, but I really like it. Plus, kale is extremely nutritious. It's high in vitamins and minerals, it has a moderate amount of protein, and it's PACKED with fiber!

There are millions of ways to incorporate kale into your meals, but here is a really simple one that I came up with the other night when I was cooking for just myself:

Kale N' Raisins
One bunch of kale
Handful of raisins
Handful of slivered almonds
~2 tbs Red wine vinegar

Start by cutting the kale into bitesize pieces. Steam it in a shallow pan over medium-high heat for only about 3 minutes. When it starts to wilt and lose brightness, add the raisins, nuts, and the vinegar. Let it simmer for about a minute more, allowing the vinegar to be absorbed and the raisins to plump up a bit.

That's it! Enjoy this as a delicious side to pretty much anything

**Remember this is the amount I made for myself...adjust the amounts of each ingredients based upon the number of people and your taste. Also try experiementing with other add-ins!

2 comments:

  1. do you use the rib of the leaf, too? i've heard some ppl only use the leafy part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use it all! I trim the tips of the stems off to right about where the leaves begin to sprout. The stem adds a nice crunch.
    I assume without would be good also though. It may make the flavor a little less intense if you're looking for something more mild.

    ReplyDelete