Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tortilla Casserole

Last night I made up a dish. It was a kind of Mexican lasagna, with tortillas instead of noodles and different veggies.
First, I sauteed some onions and green pepper in a little olive oil and added a pinch of cumin and a little sprinkle of cinnamon. Then, I added half a can of black beans and half a can of navy beans (left overs in the fridge) and a handful of chopped fresh cilantro to that mixture.
To assemble, i started with a layer of tortillas - i used corn. Then I alternated layers of the bean-onion mixture, salsa, and cheddar cheese. I baked it at about 350 till it was warm, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 minutes.

It was pretty tasty, but one thing to consider is flour vs corn tortillas. I used corn because I thought they might hold up better, but flour may actually provide more of a chewy texture. I think it's just personal preference.

It's a quick and easy dish to make, and I served with a salad of fresh romaine, tomato slices, avocado slices, and (leftover) grilled corn. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. One of my housemates made a similar thing a few months ago and used flour tortillas... It was awesome! I really liked the chewyness of them- sort of like a baked enchilada.

    ReplyDelete